The Associated Press (AP) announced on Wednesday that Ohio Governor John Kasich plans to end his bid for the Republican presidential nomination, thereby making Donald Trump the sole and presumptive nominee.
According to AP, three campaign officials speaking on anonymity said the Ohio governor plans to announce his decision in a statement from his home state later Wednesday.
The Dayton Daily News (DDN) reported earlier that Kasich cancelled a press conference at Dulles National Airport scheduled for Wednesday morning and would be making a formal campaign suspension announcement at 5 p.m. on Wednesday.
The campaign released an announcement stating, “Today’s press gaggle in Dulles has been cancelled. Gov. Kasich will deliver a statement in Columbus at 5:00 PM EDT today – location TBD.”
Pursuant to DDN reports, the move came abruptly with Kasich also canceling a scheduled meet with the USA today editorial board, followed by a full day of fundraising events. The governor also had a planned meeting with his national security team on Thursday.
The exit by Kasich follows a Tuesday evening loss in the Indiana Primary to Trump and announcement by Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) that he was dropping out of the race.
Neither candidate had a mathematical chance of garnering enough pledged delegates to stop Trump from reaching the necessary 1,237 to gain the party nomination in July. Trump at 1,047 is less than 200 delegates away from that goal. The overnight turn around raises the question of whether Kasich is being considered as a running-mate to Trump.
AP reported that early Wednesday, Trump signaled a new phase of his outsider campaign that includes a search for a running mate with experience governing and outreach to one-time competitors in an effort to heal the fractured Republican Party. Trump, in a victory speech on Tuesday night, told supporters, “We’re going after Hillary Clinton.”
This article originally appeared on Examiner.com on May 4, 2016.