Washington, D.C. – U.S. Senator Ed Markey (D-MA) drafted a Congressional Review Act resolution to reverse the FCC decision to repeal Net neutrality. Congressional Democrats and proponents of an open Internet plan to fight the FCC decision.
“We will fight the FCC’s decisions in the courts, and we will fight it in the halls of Congress. With this CRA, Congress can correct the Commission’s misguided and partisan decision and keep the internet in the hands of the people, not big corporations,” said Markey in a release on Thursday.
“Our Republican colleagues have a choice – be on the right side of history and stand with the American people who support net neutrality, or hold hands with the big cable and broadband companies who only want to supercharge their profits at the expense of consumers and our economy.”
Legislators rally against repeal
“This is a disastrous decision. It will impact every American. It will give huge advantages to big corporations over small businesses.” – U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders
In accordance with the Congressional Review Act, the Senators will formally introduce the resolution once the rule is submitted to both houses of Congress and published in the federal register. Congressman Mike Doyle (D-Penn.) plans to introduce a CRA resolution in the House of Representatives.
In his own release, Doyle spoke to his efforts to thwart Pai’s efforts and his intentions.
“I’ve tried repeatedly to convince Chairman Pai to abandon his plans to dismantle the Open Internet Order – most recently by organizing a letter from 118 Members of Congress urging him not to take this vote today – and now that the FCC has voted to kill Net Neutrality and give ISPs a green light to control access to the Internet, I will introduce legislation under the Congressional Review Act to overturn today’s order and restore Net Neutrality.
Attorney Generals oppose repeal
States’ attorney generals also vowed to fight the repeal in court. Massachusetts AG Maura Healey and New York AG Eric Schneiderman, on Thursday announced their intentions to file suit against the action on social media.
Rhode Island’s Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse encouraged his state’s residents to check to see if their names were used in postings of fake comments to the FCC during its Net Neutrality public comment period.
Rollback of #NetNeutrality isn’t good for anyone. Why would we want to jeopardize a free and open internet? Rhode Islanders, I urge you to check to see if your name/address was used in a fake comment. https://t.co/Fzgj1cKXgx
— Sheldon Whitehouse (@SenWhitehouse) December 15, 2017
Public comment data tainted
21.7 million comments were submitted. Pew found clear evidence of an “organized effort to flood the comments with repeated messages,” accrediting six percent (6%) of the comments as unique, while the other 94% were said to be “submitted multiple times – in some cases, hundreds of thousands of times.”
“At its core, this proceeding is really about repealing rules that depress investment and innovation. What will our plan do? When you cut through the legal terms and technical jargon, it’s very simple. The plan will bring back the same policy framework in the United States that governed the Internet for most of its existence—from 1996 until 2015,” Pai said.